Free of the masking effects of gravity-induced convection, shear forces, and other complicating phenomena, and without surface constraints, microgravity provides researchers with a clear window on biological and physical processes.
- Microbes grown in microgravity show unique virulence factors compared to those on Earth, which can help isolate relevant genes and lead to vaccine design.
- Three-dimension tissue specimens grown in microgravity have improved fidelity for pharmaceutical testing.
- Protein crystals grown in microgravity can be superior, thereby enabling successful characterization of target molecule structure for rational drug design.
- Commercially relevant research in material sciences, combustion, metallurgy, and other disciplines has been performed in microgravity.
- Nanotech researchers are using microgravity to understand the equations of motion of nano particles for constant-dosing drug delivery
Soon, the microgravity of Earth orbit will be available commercially to researchers around the world. Short-duration microgravity is also available today. This website offers information to help researchers consider when and how to “remove gravity” on the path to market.